Certified Interpretive Guide™
Our Certified Interpretive Guide (CIG™) certificate is designed for interpreters who are seasonal, temporary, new hires, or volunteers just starting in the field or for those who would like a refresher on the fundamentals. If you conduct tours, demonstrations, lead hikes and other recreational activities, present living history programs, etc. then this is the program to start with. Since this is a training certificate, you must complete a 32-hour course.
What are the benefits of being a CIG?
- Training that helps you cultivate and build a professional self-image.
- Learning presentation skills will increase your confidence in working with the public.
- The opportunity to network and build community with others in your field.
- Certificate makes you more competitive and may improve your chances of being hired or getting a promotion. Many agencies are listing as a preferred qualification the CIG certificate. Please see the Why Certify? page.
- The process of becoming certified and maintaining the designation provides incentives to continue professional development.
What are the Outcomes of the CIG course?
You will be able to demonstrate a basic knowledge of:
- The history of the interpretive profession.
- The basic principles of interpretation.
- Creating a program outline and presenting a thematic interpretive presentation with the following elements:
- measurable objective(s)
What are the prerequisites for earning the CIG?
You must be at least 16-years old to take the course and attempt the certificate.
How do I get certified as a CIG?
- Sign up for a course on our Certification and Training Calendar.
- Attend the course.
- Complete with a passing score the two elements for certification during the course (Program Outline & 10-minute Presentation).
Your Interpretive Journey
The Certified Interpretive Guide is just the first step in your career to building a foundation of professional knowledge. Here are some additional trainings that you can take after you certify as a CIG to build your skills: